Whether you’re hosting a family get-together, an office party, or a simple game night with friends, string cheese is a must-have snack. It has a melt-in-your-mouth texture and a tangy flavor that complements any type of food.
The only problem? It can be a bit of a hassle to melt.
However, this should not deter you from reveling in some string bliss. With a little bit of know-how and a microwave, you can melt your string cheese easily. Here’s how.
How to melt string cheese in the microwave? Cut your cheese into bite-sized pieces and arrange them in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate. Place your bowl in the microwave and nuke on high for 30 seconds. Take out of the microwave, stir, and put back in and nuke in 15-second intervals until fully melted.
It’s as simple as that. Your string cheese is ready to be gobbled up.
In this post, we’ll show you how to melt string cheese and share some tips on how to make it even easier. We’ll also address a few common questions about melting string cheese and debunk a few myths along the way.
Let’s get started.
Can You Melt String Cheese in the Microwave
The short answer is yes, you can melt string cheese in a microwave. However, there are some caveats that you should know about first.
Well, as you may already know, a significant proportion of string cheeses are made either partially or entirely out of mozzarella or cheddar. Both of these cheese varieties have one thing in common: they don’t melt well on their own.
If you were to simply stick a piece of string cheese into your microwave and try to melt it, it would likely come out rubbery and unappetizing. This is because it contains low water and fat content and, when heated, tends to retain its original shape rather than melt.
So how do you get around it?
There are some steps you can take to ensure that your string cheese melts properly in your microwave.
- Cut it into small pieces. This will expose more of its surface area to heat, allowing your string cheese to melt more easily.
- Use a High Power Setting. As previously stated, mozzarella and cheddar have high water content—and water heats up faster than most other substances. Using a higher power setting ensures that your string cheese doesn’t sit around in its original shape for too long before melting.
How Long Does it Take to Melt String Cheese in the Microwave?
It will take between 60 and 90 seconds to melt string cheese in a microwave. The exact time depends on the power of your microwave and the thickness of your piece of cheese.
If you have thick string cheese, for example, it will take longer to melt than thin ones. This is because thick and dense food has less surface area through which heat can penetrate.
A good rule of thumb is to slice your cheese into 1/2-inch strips before heating. This gives you more surface area for your microwave to work with, so your cheese melts faster.
Similarly, microwaves vary in wattage. The more powerful your microwave is, the faster it will heat your string cheese.
Due to these variables, it’s best to heat your string cheese in a 15-second interval. This gives you control of the process and allows you to stop melting when it reaches your desired consistency. It is good to note how to melt other types of cheese such as how to melt the American Cheese.
Tips for Melting String Cheese in Microwave
Although string cheese is difficult to melt, with a few tips and tricks, you can get right. Below are some tips for melting string cheese in the microwave.
- Avoid melting string cheese in its wrapper. The plastic wrapper will melt leaching chemicals into your cheese. This can lead to a variety of health issues and should be avoided at all costs.
- Make sure your string cheese is thin enough. Most string cheese brands are thick and thus difficult to melt, so cut them into smaller pieces before microwaving. This will increase the surface area and allow heat to penetrate more quickly.
- Melt your string cheese only in a microwave-safe bowl or plate. Anything else could shatter or explode when heated, making for a very dangerous situation.
- Let your string cheese come to room temperature before microwaving. If you microwave it while it is still cold, the heat will take longer to penetrate and melt it. Room-temperature string cheese will heat more quickly and evenly, yielding a better overall result.
- Do not add milk or any other liquid to your string cheese. This will dilute the flavor and turn it lumpy rather than smooth and melted.
- Heat for short periods. Cooking for longer periods can make your string cheese rubbery, which is definitely not something you want. If it doesn’t melt after a few minutes, try again in 15-second intervals until it does.
- Use a low-power setting for the best results. This allows for control over your string cheese’s melting process, ensuring that it doesn’t burn or become rubbery.
- Stir your string cheese frequently as it melts. Because microwaves tend to cook unevenly, stirring will ensure that no cold or hot spots develop.
How to Melt String Cheese in Microwave
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to melt string cheese:
Step 1: Remove Cheese from the Packaging
Simply tear open individual packets with your hands. If you have a larger package of string cheese, cut off a small portion and set it aside for later use.
Step 2: Slice Cheese into Bite-Sized Pieces
If you are using a large block of cheese, try cutting it into fourths or eighths. This will make it easier for heat to penetrate and melt your string cheese.
Step 3: Place Slices on a Microwavable Plate or Bowl
Choose a plate, bowl, or cup with a raised edge. This will keep your string cheese from melting on the surface of your microwave and make cleanup easier. Also, arrange your slices so that they are not touching each other.
Step 4: Nuke on High Power for 30 Seconds
Next, place your plate or bowl with string cheese slices into your microwave. Set it on high power and heat for 30 seconds.
Step 5: Check for Melting and Stir
After 30 seconds, remove your plate or bowl from your microwave then stir with a spatula or spoon. Return it to your microwave and heat it on high power in 15-second intervals until all of your string cheese is melted.
Step 6: Enjoy Your Melted Cheese
Remove your plate or bowl from your microwave and let it cool for a few minutes. Once it has cooled down, you can use it on a sandwich or eat it with crackers. The possibilities are endless.
Faqs On How to Melt String Cheese in the Microwave
Is mozzarella cheese string cheese?
Yes, it is. This is because it bears a similar texture and consistency as string cheese. You can also use mozzarella cheese in recipes that call for string cheese. For example, you could make yourself some delicious grilled cheese sandwiches with melted mozzarella on top. Learn more on how to melt mozzarella cheese.
At what temperature does cheese string melt?
Cheese string melts at a relatively low temperature, typically around 90 degrees Fahrenheit. This means that melting cheese string in your microwave takes very little time. It also implies that you should avoid overheating it, as this can result in burnt spots and an unpleasant taste.
Does string cheese melt on pizza?
Yes, string cheese is an excellent pizza topping that melts well. However, it may not do so easily and requires a few tricks to get it just right. Melt it in your microwave at high power, keeping an eye on it to avoid overheating. This will prevent it from becoming too soggy or rubbery.
Is string cheese healthy for you?
String cheese is the healthiest as you can get when it comes to processed cheese. It’s low in calories, high in protein, and contains no preservatives or artificial ingredients. However, due to its high-fat content, you should consume it in moderation. If you’re watching your weight, eat it on occasion rather than every day.
Can you make queso out of string cheese?
Yes, you can make queso out of string cheese. Because of its long shape and low moisture content, it’s a good candidate for melting into a dip or fondue. Also, unlike other types of cheese, it does not break apart when melted.
How to Store Melted String Cheese
If you intend to use your melted string cheese in a recipe, you should save it for later. Store your string cheese in an airtight container and refrigerate it until ready to use. Your cheese will stay fresh for about a week after the sell-by date.
Melting string cheese in the microwave is a quick way to enjoy its deliciousness without turning on the oven. However, like other types of cheese, it can be difficult to melt.
But, as we’ve revealed, if you heat at high, in short bursts, swirling constantly, you’ll have a nice melted consistency in no time. This method works best with string cheese that’s cut into bite-sized pieces.
All it takes is a few seconds and you’ll have a gooey, delicious appetizer that’s sure to please.
Check out this video for more