American’s love for bacon is renowned worldwide! Twenty-one percent of U.S citizens confirm they would consume it throughout their existence, research from national today says.
Eighteen percent claim it’s their preferred food, and sixteen percent attest they can hardly live without it.
However, bacon may not be a healthier choice, the reason people have turned to turkey bacon. So, you may be curious to learn how to cook turkey bacon in the microwave.
Use a microwave-friendly plate, and coat it with some paper towels. Spread several turkey bacon slices throughout the plate in one layer and put them in the microwave. The more time you allow it to microwave, the crispier it gets. The normal cooking time is between one and two minutes. It’s a much healthier choice due to its low-fat content and moreover because it’s delicious.
How to Cook Turkey Bacon in the Microwave
Turkey bacon contains the minimum calories and minimum fat compared to normal pork bacon. Regularly it also contains low sodium. It’s the best breakfast option for people on special diets like low-carb, keto, low-salt, or diabetic.
Turkey bacon remains processed meat and should be restricted though if you’re graving to enjoy some turkey bacon, cooking it in the microwave is the best alternative as it’s clean and healthy. To expound, there are two main methods to cook turkey bacon using the microwave as you can see below.
Method 1: Microwaving Turkey Bacon Using Paper Towels
- Thinly sliced turkey bacon
- Microwave-safe plate or bowl
Step 1: Prepping the Turkey Bacon
Start by defrosting it in the refrigerator or thawing it in the microwave.
Step 2: Coating the microwavable plate or bowl
You need to coat the microwavable plate with two paper towel films so they can absorb all the greases and juices that the turkey discharges.
Step 3: Placing the turkey bacon
Place the bacon strips on a microwavable plate in a manner that they are not on top of each other.
Step 4: Microwave settings
Insert the plate or bowl inside the microwave and turn it on. Set the time at two minutes according to the amount of the bacon strips and the temperature at 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 5: Checking and Flipping the Bacon
You should be checking the bacon strips on every 30-second intervals. After a minute, cook and turn the opposite side.
Step 6: Transferring the bacon strips
Once you’re done cooking the bacon strips, you need to transfer them to a clean layer of paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
Step 7: Serve hot
You can cook the bacon strips for an extra one minute to make them crunchy. Remove them from the microwave cautiously and serve instantly.
Method 2: Cooking Using a Microwave Bacon Tray and Equipment
If you have a microwave bacon tray it’s perfect. You can use them to make some delicious turkey bacon. Use the gear according to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Open the lid from the tray and put three to four bacon strips on one level.
- Close the lid and insert it into the microwave to heat.
Tips for Microwaving Turkey Bacon
It’s very easy to cook turkey bacon using the microwave. Using this kitchen gear will enable you to cook several turkey bacon pieces within a few minutes.
The main advantage of microwaving bacon is that you don’t need to stand near the scorching stove with oil splashing on you while the bacon is cooking. Again, you won’t have to clean up the mess after you’re done.
Below are some useful tips for microwaving turkey bacon:
- It’s easy to make crunchy turkey bacon using a microwavable plate or bowl coated using paper towels.
- Using a paper towel to tap grease and moisture allows you to reduce microwave splatter and minimize cleaning up the mess.
- Use a lid or a sheet of paper towel to cover the bacon turkey to minimize splashing and make cleaning enjoyable.
- For bacon fans that microwave frequently, using a microwave bacon tray will allow the oil to trickle away ensuring the bacon becomes crispier.
- The normal duration for cooking turkey bacon using a microwave is about two minutes. However, the time does vary subject to the microwave type, the width of every slice, and the amount of slices.
- Let the turkey bacon cool down for one minute then serve. While cooling, it will acquire the crunchy quality that you like.
How to Store Cooked Turkey Bacon
Cooking turkey bacon is effortless and fast when using the microwave. But most important is to ensure you keep it in the fridge prior, and if there might be any remnants left after cooking.
You should expect your raw turkey bacon to stay for two weeks in the refrigerator and for one year in the freezer. After your bacon is ready, you should keep it at a temperature under 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Refrigerated turkey bacon can last until one week or can stay in the freezer until six months.
You can evaluate the quality depending on the smell, appearance, and by touching it to see whether it’s fresh for consumption or has expired.
The scent is usually the easiest to notice to identify the freshness of anything edible. If it has a bitter, somewhat fishy, or strange smell, then it is good not risky.
How to Reheat Turkey Bacon in the Microwave
If the bacon turkey is still good for consumption, then continue with the healing process using the method you like. Known methods for heating turkey bacon include using an oven, microwave, or frying pan. The microwaving method involves using paper towels to coat a microwave-safe plate or container which helps it absorb excess grease when cooking.
Here are some steps to observe when reheating turkey bacon using the microwave:
- Coat a microwavable plate using two pieces of paper towel.
- Arrange one layer of the bacon strips over the paper towel.
- Shield the turkey bacon with another piece of paper towel.
- Microwave for 20 seconds to warm the turkey bacon.
- Assess if the pieces are perfectly hot and needed you can microwave for 20 more seconds until the bacon attains 165 degrees Fahrenheit of temperature.
- Put the turkey bacon in a clean paper towel and decant the excess oil then serve.
Turkey Bacon vs. Pork Bacon
It’s clear to us that turkey bacon and pork bacon are different things. They both have advantages and disadvantages. There are also definite reasons why you would choose to eat one kind of bacon and not the other one.
Finally, which is better or the best for you depends entirely on you.
But what is the main difference between pork and turkey bacon? But it’s important to note that you can use turkey bacon same manner as you would use pork bacon.
Here are a few ideas for you:
- Bacon bits
- BLT sandwiches
- Breakfast side dish
- Dips with bacon
- Bacon cheeseburgers
- Bacon-wrapped meat
- Club sandwiches (or any kind of sandwich really)
- Add to soups and casseroles
As you can see, there are different ways of using turkey bacon, the same as you would for pork bacon. Just take turkey bacon as a substitute for pork bacon and your usage choices will be unlimited.
Now let’s look at some differences between turkey vs pork bacon:
- One fact regarding both turkey and pork bacon they are made using processed products. They are both likely to have other additives. So, always ensure to carefully scrutinize the constituents and processing details on the packaging to be completely conversant.
- Turkey bacon contains less fat and calories than pork bacon. Additionally, turkey bacon always has small amounts of grease when cooking. You will notice grease but very little.
- If you look at turkey bacon strips and pork bacon strips, you’ll realize that turkey bacon is very straight and even whereas pork bacon has varying widths, lengths, and consistencies. Pork bacon also contains fat that is noticeable on the bacon strip.
- You can buy both pork and turkey bacon in whichever grocery store that retails bacon. Awkwardly, the purchase of pork bacon is usually immensely huge than turkey bacon.
- You can prepare both varieties of bacon in different ways. You can choose the microwave, air fryer, or frying pan to cook both types of bacon. However, the common way to prepare bacon remains to be the frying pan though the other styles produce a comparable outcome.
- Both varieties of bacon are made using animal proteins. That’s to say they all have different types of minerals and nutrients that are good for your health. So, the main health variance between the two kinds of bacon is fat and calorie composition.
Alternative Ways to Cook Turkey Bacon Apart from Microwave
1. Using a Skillet
You can cook turkey bacon strips for seven to eight minutes by displaying them in the skillet on moderate flame. Turn the strips over every two to three minutes to allow them to cook evenly on all sides.
2. Baking in the oven
Cover your baking plate with aluminum foil and put the bacon strips on top. Pre-heat your oven and bake for eight to ten minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit till both sides become crunchy.
Overturn the strips with a pair of tongs so it cooks evenly. If you want it to be crunchier, bake the strips for five to ten more minutes.
3. Cooking in the Air Fryer
Put the strips in the air fryer ensuring they fit perfectly and if not, trim them accordingly.
Fry the strips for approximately five minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit then turn and cook the opposite side.
Faqs on Cooking Turkey Bacon in Microwave
Is Turkey Bacon Good in the Microwave?
It’s quicker to cook turkey bacon in the microwave compared to the skillet. The bacon strips come out beautifully elongated and straight. IT tastes better especially because of the heat of the bacon between paper towels.
How do You Know When Turkey Bacon is Done in the Microwave?
You should use a meat thermometer to ensure that your turkey is cooked to the correct temperature. Put it near, but it shouldn’t touch the thigh bone. If it shows 170 degrees Fahrenheit in the breast and 180 degrees Fahrenheit in the thigh, it’s cooked and you can serve.
How do You Know Turkey Bacon is Cooked?
It takes approximately eight to ten minutes for turkey bacon to cook in the skillet, and a few more minutes to cook on either side. The bacon should be crispy and browner without any pink or translucent traces on the flesh.
How Do You Cook Turkey in the Microwave?
Take a microwave-safe container and cover it using some paper towels. Arrange the number of turkey bacon you prefer on the towels in one layer. The more time you allow it to microwave, the crispier it gets. It normally takes one to two minutes to cook.
Does Turkey Bacon Get Crispy in the Microwave?
Place your turkey bacon slices on one layer on a paper towel placed on a microwavable platter. Then microwave at a high temperature for two minutes for it to be crispy. The longer you microwave it, the crispier it becomes.
How Long Do You Cook Bacon in The Microwave For?
Once in the microwave, the bacon needs three to four minutes to cook. Check it and if it’s still translucent, keep cooking for 30-minute breaks until it is crispy the way you want.
Is Turkey Bacon Raw?
Your turkey bacon can be so tempting till you ask if you can eat it raw. Certainly, you can because it is smoked the same as deli ham, therefore, no need to cook it. The bacon is a treated, pre-made turkey specially designed to resemble real bacon.
Does Turkey Bacon Have Grease?
Turkey bacon has a very low-fat content compared to pork bacon. It amounts to 14 grams for turkey and 22 grams for pork. The amount of saturated fat however is high being four grams for turkey and eight grams for pork.
How Do You Microwave a Turkey Rasher?
Begin by separating the strips and putting them on a paper towel. Lay the paper towel on a microwavable plate and let it cook for 50 seconds. Once the time is over, overturn the bacon and microwave for 50 more seconds.
Can Turkey Bacon Get Crispy?
If you oven bake your turkey for about fifteen minutes it becomes crispy, flavorful, and chewy. By cooking Turkey Bacon in the oven, you can pop the slices as they fry for them to be crispy which is impossible with a stove top.
Can I Fry Turkey Bacon?
To fry turkey bacon, first preheat two tablespoons of cooking oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat until it melts. Put the skillet strips and fry while turning strips at two to three minutes intervals while regulating the heat accordingly. After eight to ten minutes when the bacon totally browns and is crispy, remove it.
Why Can’t You Cook a Turkey in The Microwave?
You can successfully cook a turkey in the microwave whether in pieces or whole. Though because of the way microwave dispenses heat, it might not cook turkey uniformly.
Can You Cook Raw Turkey in The Microwave?
Place the turkey breast in a huge microwavable container and add one cup of water. Cover it using a plastic wrapper and heat it for five minutes at a high temperature. Reduce the heat by half and continue cooking for five more minutes.
Can you Microwave Sliced Turkey?
Cut the turkey into small equal pieces and arrange it on a microwave-friendly platter. Cover using a microwavable lid or a paper towel. Microwave at low temperature between two to five minutes or until it cooks.
Cooking turkey bacon using the microwave is the fastest way of cooking it. The bacon comes out as tasty the same way it would if you cooked it using the oven or stove. There are different meals for cooking bacon that you can use in the microwave. In some, you use racks and a plate to absorb grease. Finally, cooking your turkey bacon in the microwave is fast and effortless. Ensure you keep it in the refrigerator before and after cooking.